Thursday, June 3, 2010

Unveiled



She kept looking and looking at the stone bust. Despite all her efforts she couldn’t stop staring at it. The face’s expression was too compelling and distressful to be ignored. She has been working at the Museum for almost twenty years; her restoration work was well known around the world, as she has successfully restored many great and valuable pieces.

She did her work with pleasure, treating each piece with profound respect and veneration. Each piece of art was unique, as each one has a story to tell, a message to pass, an emotion to show, a legacy to preserve and a culture to represent.
Maria didn’t take her work lightly, one little mistake and a whole world will be destroyed…

Whenever she was restoring she moved into trance, doing the connection with the different artists and allowing their spirits to take over her body, so they could guide her hands and senses throughout the whole restoration process. The connection was so strong that she was able to experience the emotions that drove them to create their pieces, sensing their muses, their quandaries and dramas.
But this time Maria is afraid of working with this woman’s bust, she can’t stop thinking about the images she saw the time she attempted to make the connection. She is still shivering and horrified of what was unveiled while in trance.

The bust was the resting nest of many phantoms from the past – it contained the ghosts of many women that were murdered by its artist. It took sixteen of them until he could carve and shape the right expression of astonishment and shock of a person the second after the final breath….


This post is a submission to Magpie Tales #17, writing on a theme of the above photo.


© 2010 Gabriela Abalo

39 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting indeed....was wondering what takes people would take on the photo.....that was a good one--- enjoyed reading...though I will avoid the gallery where that bust is --- I do not like unsettled spirits.....bkm

Everyday Goddess said...

I love the idea of connecting with the artist's energy, very intriguing!

great magpie!

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

beautiful tale!

Anonymous said...

Very interesting take on this one. I thought it was very appropriate.
QMM

Annie Jeffries said...

Isn't it interesting how we saw two very different emotions in this bust? I instantly saw happiness and wonder. You saw perfection found in evil intent. Your interpretation is chilling. Well done.

Kirk said...

Very good. Reminds me of the kind of short stories Roald Dahl used to write.

rel said...

Now that you mention it, I do see it there in her expression!
rel

Shirley Landis VanScoyk said...

Interesting concept!

Paul C said...

Like the idea of a restorer fully immersed in her craft.

Suz said...

Oh my..that was good and creepy!

Yemalla said...

Some saw a song. You saw a scream. Such an intriguing take on a prompt that has inspired so much diversity in interpretation. Very well done.

Lisa said...

BRAVO! I did NOT see that coming. The picture is FANTASTIC. What a great writing prompt. I LOVE your story. Please let us know the outcome of the submission.

Well done!

Kathe W. said...

very mysterious and spooky-good Magpie!

Relyn Lawson said...

I love it! I love your explanation of the expression.

leenah. said...

wow... that sure was mysterious! you had good way with it! :)

RA said...

Brilliant, simply brilliant! :)

Anonymous said...

Very enjoyable; I could almost see this being on the tv; a murder mystery, perhaps with some romance.

CJ xx

Linda said...

Nicely written, and what a tragic and frightening revelation at the end.

Angie Muresan said...

Gabriela, this gave me the creeps. Very well done!

Aoife.Troxel said...

Wow. *shivers* Very creepy. Great job.

Tess Kincaid said...

Ooo, this gave me the willies!

Helen said...

Your Magpie left me wondering if a few bad dreams would find me tonight! Powerful imagery, well written.

Joanne Olivieri said...

Wow, a fascinating story and powerful message. Connecting is experiencing that creative flow which allows a trance like state at times. It can be a wonderful experience or as you so elquently expressed, horrifying. Very much enjoyed this post.

Tumblewords: said...

Totally chilling thriller. Love it!

Katherine said...

Gabriella what a chilling twist on this prompt. Very, very good...sounds like a good story line for a movie - thriller! Although it would be too scary for me to watch...cause I am a big chicken when it comes to this sort of thing!

Peggy said...

Whoa - I hope that guy got caught!!! Great story

Gabriela Abalo said...

Thank you all for your tenderness and encouragement!

I really had fun writing this Magpie... I love the different reactions I got from it.

loveNlight
Gabi

CHummelKornell said...

What a novel twist! Great Magpie. I love the unexpected.

Wine and Words said...

I too saw surprise and wonder in the bust...and certainly a rarity from one as pessimistic as myself. But I love the premise behind your story, death for perfection of art. Would be a great book, right up there with Silence of The Lambs. Chilling.

GYPSYWOMAN said...

oh, what a piece!!! totally captivating! loved it!

Vicki Lane said...

Very creepy tale! Good take on the prompt -- love the idea of the restorer who can feels the artists' intentions.

spacedlaw said...

Eeek! What a shock.

Brian Miller said...

ha. i love a good shiver...and your magpie gave them to me...nicely done!

Lyn said...

This is so good..love spooky..and you my find a strange connection with my prompt..synchronicity??

Maude Lynn said...

Well done!

Ed Pilolla said...

this is a great dark piece. i dig the concept of channeling as we work, tapping into the other realm so we feel as if the other is working through us. artists do that, right? you surprised me at the end with the darkness. i expected you to leave it vague, but i found if satisfying to know the truth. nice!

Kass said...

Wildly creative response! Loved it.

Helena said...

Brilliant ending. There was so much succinctly said in this piece. I loved it.

C.M. Jackson said...

practice makes perfect and not just a little creepy;) Do I see an art detective series? great job!